We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Local pianists Ada Clement and Lillian Hodghead founded the San Francisco Conservatory of Music in 1917, and opened as the Ada Clement Piano School. San Francisco Conservatory of Music is a private, coeducational institution in San Francisco, California.Among the early students nurtured by the Conservatory were two of this era's greatest violin virtuosi, Isaac Stern and Yehudi Menuhin. The first faculty chamber group, the California String Quartet, began in 1926.Albert Elkus came out of retirement in 1951 to become the conservatory's director. In 1960, under Laufer's direction, the conservatory reached a major milestone, becoming the first music school on the west coast to receive accreditation from both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the National Association of Schools of Music.Appointed president in 1966, Milton Salkind guided the conservatory through its first great period of expansion. Salkind brought the professional music world to the conservatory with visits from such luminaries as Placido Domingo, Beverly Sills, Yehudi Menuhin, and Yo Yo Ma.Colin Murdoch became the president in 1992. Under his leadership, the conservatory celebrated its 75th anniversary with a gala concert at Davies Symphony Hall.In 2005, a major campaign was underway to move the conservatory to completely renovated state-of the-art facilities at 50 and 70 Oak Street in the Civic Center. The conservatory would join the San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Opera, San Francisco Ballet, museums, and libraries in an already lively arts scene downtown.